Gloves are an essential part of many people's wardrobes, providing protection from the elements and from hazards in the workplace. But how do you know what size glove to buy? If you measure your glove size incorrectly, your gloves may be too tight or too loose, which can be uncomfortable and make it difficult to perform tasks.
Why is it important to measure your glove size correctly?
Measuring your glove size correctly is important for a few reasons:
- Comfort: Gloves that are too tight or too loose can be uncomfortable to wear. Gloves that are too tight can restrict blood flow and cause tingling and numbness in the hands. Gloves that are too loose may slip off easily, which can be a safety hazard.
- Performance: Gloves that are the right size will allow you to move your hands freely and perform tasks without difficulty. Gloves that are too tight may make it difficult to grip objects and perform delicate tasks. Gloves that are too loose may slip off easily, which can also make it difficult to perform tasks.
- Safety: Gloves that are the right size will provide the best protection from hazards. Gloves that are too tight may tear or puncture easily. Gloves that are too loose may not provide adequate protection from hazards.
How to measure your glove size?
To measure your glove size, you will need a flexible tape measure.
- Measure the circumference of your dominant hand: Wrap the tape measure around the widest part of your hand, excluding your thumb. Make sure the tape measure is snug but not too tight. Record the measurement in inches.
- Measure the length of your middle finger: Measure from the tip of your middle finger to the base of your palm. Record the measurement in inches.
- Use the larger of the two measurements to determine your glove size: If your hand circumference is larger than your middle finger length, use your hand circumference to determine your glove size. If your middle finger length is larger than your hand circumference, use your middle finger length to determine your glove size.
Glove size chart
Here is a general glove size chart:
Tips for measuring your glove size
- Measure your hand at the end of the day, when it is at its largest.
- Measure your dominant hand, which is typically slightly larger than your non-dominant hand.
- If you are between sizes, it is best to size up.
- If you are wearing gloves for work, it is important to consider the type of work you will be doing when choosing a glove size. For example, if you will be doing delicate work, you will need a glove that fits snugly. If you will be doing heavy-duty work, you will need a glove that is slightly looser to allow for movement.
Refer to the sizing chart below for an alternative method to find the perfect fit:
How to try on gloves
Once you have determined your glove size, it is important to try on the gloves before you buy them. To do this:
- Put on the glove and make sure it fits snugly but not too tightly. You should be able to move your fingers freely.
- Make sure the glove covers the entire length of your fingers and wrist.
- Bend your fingers and make a fist to make sure the glove does not restrict your movement.
- If the glove is too tight or too loose, try a different size.
Additional tips for choosing the right glove size
- If you have wide hands or long fingers, you may need to size up.
- If you have narrow hands or short fingers, you may need to size down.
- If you are buying gloves for a child, measure their hand every few months as they grow.
- If you are buying gloves online, be sure to read the size chart carefully.
- If you are unsure what size to get, it is always best to err on the side of caution and size up.
How to care for your gloves
To extend the life of your gloves, it is important to care for them properly. Here are a few tips:
- Wash your gloves regularly with mild soap and water.
- Air dry your gloves completely before storing them.
- Store your gloves in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or solvents on your gloves.
- Inspect your gloves regularly for signs of wear and tear. If you find any damage, replace the gloves immediately.
Explore the sizing chart presented above, an invaluable resource offering an alternative avenue to pinpoint the ideal glove size within our extensive collection of multi-hazard hand protection options. This comprehensive chart serves as a versatile tool, ensuring that you can make an informed decision based on your unique measurements, promoting both comfort and safety in your chosen glove. Utilize this user-friendly guide to navigate the diverse selection and select the glove size that aligns perfectly with your specific requirements and preferences, fostering a seamless integration of protective measures into your work environment.
For over 40 years, Lab Pro Inc. is your steadfast source for lab supply vending machine solutions, cleanroom lab supplies, hand tools, lab equipment, chemicals, and PPE apparel. Trusted by aerospace industries, medical device companies, and laboratories globally, we epitomize exceptional quality in every product. Experience the convenience of next day service in California. Contact us online or at 888-452-2776 to explore solutions tailor-made for the laboratory industry. Elevate your experiments with Lab Pro Inc. – your partner in precision and excellence.